Issues with Rooftop Units and Other Penetrations
You might not think much about the condition of your building’s roof until it springs a leak. By then, unfortunately, extensive damage to the roof, to the building’s structure and to your inventory can occur. The safest and most effective method of protecting your investment is through professional roof inspections and proper maintenance.
All roof penetrations are susceptible to leaks. The most common place to install HVAC units, exhaust fans, satellite equipment and vents, however, is usually on top of the roof. While this creates a potential leak site in every penetration spot, quality installation, skilled workmanship and periodic upkeep go a long way toward reducing leakage risks.
When checking rooftop penetrations, a trained specialist will:
- Check HVAC condensation lines. Water should flow from the lines directly to roof drains and the lines should not rest directly on the surface of the roof.
- Inspect equipment bases to ensure that they are flashed correctly, and that they are watertight and secure.
- Examine pitch pockets/penetration pans around vents and pipes to confirm that any caulking is in good condition and that penetrations are sealed efficiently.
- Recommend the installation of protective walkpads around HVAC units and in other high-traffic areas where equipment maintenance is required.
- Look for signs of deterioration, rust, discoloration and splitting, all of which could indicate the start of a problem around access hatches and other penetrations.
General maintenance crews can miss problematic issues associated with roof penetrations. Your best bet is to consult a roofing specialist who can pinpoint and repair small problems before they reach the critical stage.
The RoofGuard™ Preventative Maintenance program, North American Roofing’s exclusive roof care program, offers facility owners and managers peace of mind. By enrolling in the RoofGuard™ program, you’ll receive annual or bi-annual inspections, gutter cleaning, debris removal, general maintenance and priority leak response. We also provide a 1-year workmanship warranty on any repairs we make. We’ll even remember when it’s time to schedule inspections and maintenance, so you don’t have to.
Our RoofGuard™ program provides much more than just rooftop unit and penetration inspection. We examine the entire field of roof. We scrutinize membrane laps, coping caps, roof edges and perimeter flashings. Our state-of-the-art equipment can pinpoint areas of concern long before they’re visible to the naked eye. Enrollment in our maintenance program protects the roof’s warranty, minimizes unexpected roof repair costs, extends the life of the roof and saves money by preventing premature roof replacement. Since your roof is one of the largest investments you’ll make in your building, isn’t it worth protecting?
Contact North American Roofing before installing new HVAC units. We can help ensure that the new units are flashed correctly and that the HVAC contractor uses roofing-compatible materials. In addition, it’s a good idea to limit roof access by unqualified personnel to reduce unnecessary foot traffic.